Monday 17 March 2014

Day 1: My National Conference Exploits

Today (17th March 2014) was the first day of the national conference. Delegates were inaugurated

I arrived at the venue of the event around 2 PM. Upon arriving at the gate, I saw vans of armed police men stationed at the front gate, and I was like "wow this country".

I got into the reception where delegates are to be accredited. First i had to go and get checked and see if my name was on their system by showing my ID, then proceeded to a room where I was captured for my tag. I was told my tag will be ready in 10 minutes, I walked out of the room and waited for my tag. I got my tag at the said time.

We -delegates, left the reception and proceeded to the venue of the inauguration, you must have heard what happened to me at the entrance. A man (guard) in a fine suit stopped me, with a straigh face he asked "Are you a guest" I said "No", he asked, press? I said "NO". He then quickly glanced at my tag dangling on my neck, and started, "sorry ma, youngest delegate".

I felt out of place, like I do not belong here. I felt like it's a gathering for the elderly and not for the young.

I walked passed him, went found a seat and sat. Waiting for me were three (3) books on the arm rest, one; on the programme of event and the other two on the national conference and centenary.

There were free seats on both sides of me some women sat, one of them asked " Are you from national youth council"? I said no! What group are you representing? I told her youth and other youth organisation. The pank hit me again of being out of place. I thought "am I really too small" or is it the Nigerian mentality that someone has to be old to deliberate on National issues?

Then after a while, another woman (a delegate) came and sat by my other side, a big woman obviously, she asked, "which state are you from"? "I said Borno" she asked "Maiduguri"? "I said yes". We got talking and I told her youths are very angry because there is less representation of youths at the conference, majority are elderly, she said "yes they can not be accommodated", and I was like what?! She said errrm you see they can't be accommodated, I thought "But old men and women can be accommodated"?. Before I could say anything, the arrival of the president was announced.

How many of such will one hear before the conference ends?

Speeches were made, pictures were snapped.

It was announced that they'll be a dinner later tonight but I obviously cannot make it. Couldn't drive home and drive back for the dinner, i choose saving my fuel over free meal. Fuel is still scarce remember.

For those that are interested in the money aspect: No money was given, no accommodation, no sitting allowance as people claim will drop everyday. Some said delegates will be given accommodation at transcorp and other big hotels on arrival, well no such thing happened, or probably not yet or not for tiny rats like myself.

And please if you know anyone that knows anyone who knows any thing about the conference, ask him if he knows what time will the event start tomorrow and where?

The organizers should be given the award of....... Never mind....

I am trying to eat now, yes it is late, nobody gave me food at the inauguration, and my appetite was distorted, so I am eating....

On Twitter: @Yadomah

14 comments:

  1. Oh my......am speechless sef

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be gluing myself to you blog for the next 100days. Thanks for going for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Bookmarked.. Yadomah please and please keep this up. You will be intimidated to stop but please keep it up. God bless you.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmnn "they can't be accommodated" in a country where over 50% of the population are youths... Issokay, anyways, please stay strong, focused and UNINTIMIDATED

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i were you, I would have thrown a quick sarcasm to get her thinking for a year. Something around like, " Oh well if that be the case, I also think WE women shouldnt be allowed since its a common opinion we tend to have weak(Fish) brains and are meant for kitchen jobs" .. to remind her that she is Privileged to be able to walk into a "National" political Gathering as A 'Woman' in 2014. This is one reason why common sense isnt a gender thing(with respect to the discussion about us having more Female leaders in Our Polity. Oduah and Diezani are enough proof. salam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you are accustomed to the "nigerian" mentality of age being the basis for intelligence so that shouldn't deter you:) .....bottomline is do your best and leave the rest and I pray this conference will address a lot of issues even though my faith in it is weak. God bless Nigeria. Jzk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoever believe what this little rat has said must be a dumb.Maybe u've not gotten your own 12million shekels share now but certainly you will as the conference progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting! It's gonna be a loooooooong 100days. What about you blog it weekly? But if you can keep up with the daily post I bet you have a ready audience. Weldone ma'am... proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great. The least I expect of a delegate is some sort of engagement with the outside world...so well done! Following you for sure.
    If they pay money now, all the delegates will disappear and there'll be no conference lol, or maybe just the few eggheads will stay. Cool thing about these conferences too, like I learned from my friend, is most people get tired and just bloody fagged out from all the book book talk talk stuff, which gives the few an opportunity to actually have the conference and write the reports or whatever. But when the money appears, hmmm, energy! Not to mention impersonators.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They will soon realise that the little Yadomah is mighty at heart, i feel represented in you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's hope its not just another jamboree, let Nigeria be the winner here when all is said and done. Kudos!





    ReplyDelete