Tuesday 25 March 2014

Day 4: My National Conference Exploits

Alright yesterday (24th March 2014) started a little scary.

I woke up unconsciously concious, haven dreamt that there was something burning inside my cupboard, when I woke up - really there was something burning, not in my cupboard though but the electric extension wire in my room has actually began melting. Well that really dampened my mood for almost the whole day.

I left home at about 9am started the long journey to the venue of the national conference. 20 minutes to the time of the commencement of the conference which is scheduled to start at 10 am, I met a really mad traffic just close to the entrance of the venue. It took me 40 minutes to reach the gate of the venue- well service to nation has its cost.

On reaching the venue of the conference, there were parking spaces for elder statesmen and the other big men, as for we the other delegates, our parking space is some Kilometres away from the venue - what will poor man do?. After trekking miles from the parking lot to the venue, I was almost out of breath, then a long queue greeted me - "from vehicle queue to human queue" I wondered. I slowly and slowly made my way into the venue, some 40 minutes late all thanks to human and vehicle traffic.

On entering the hall, I was relieved that the proceedings were not fully started.

Then the matter of the day.

We spent the whole day delebrating on amending the procedures of the National conference 2014 shared to us.

Matters such as the traffic and congestion on the way to the venue of the national conference were deliberated on.

A particular place of interest that rose uproar was the issue of the use of three quarter majority of the house to decide on proposed decisions. Some were of the opinion that it should be two third because three fourth is unattainable. The chairman had to drop the matter to a later time for deliberation because a consensus was unable to be reached.

Another issue that provoked some of the members - delegates, was the recognition of some of the delegates by the chairman of the conference by their names, while the unknowns - poor we, are not dully recognised.

And another thing is that me and my fellow youths have to shout on top of their voices to be heard or seen.

The issue of break time which is 2pm-4pm was deliberated on extensively. "Some of the elders were of the view that the break time should be reduced by at least one hour for some may run back home, or sleep off after a meal and skip the afternoon session. A youth countered by saying "if they can't keep up, they should go back home and allow the young energetic blood to carry on.

At 2pm we went for lunch break, we were offered variety of meal to dine.

So many recommendations and solutions were reached on the issue of the procedures of the conference.

At 6:05 the session was adjourned till the following day.

I wrote this yesterday but I slept off in the middle of it so I adjourned publishing it till today.

Delebrating on General issues concerning Nigeria and Nigerians hasn't stared yet, still on issues concerning conference and delegates.

3 comments:

  1. Well I hope u people get down to business soon, as you are working with a deadline of 3 months, besides all these procedures guiding the conference should have been handled and perfected by the secretariat long before commencement of the conference.

    I think two-thirds majority for adoption of resolutions is more realistic, also the issue of lunch break, haba 2 hours! It will turn into a national dozing conference, especially after devouring the sumptious meals provided! On a more serious note, I think 1 hour should be ok.

    Another issue u raised, that the youth delegates have to shout in order to be heard?? Aren't u people provided with microphones?? And I should think that everyone will be given a chance to talk? Or is it like a market place where everyone talks at will?

    The issue of parking, make u no complain self, its one of the sacrifices u have to make for your country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read that there would be subcommittees. That would make for less shouting...eventually.
    It's funny watching the pain-in-the-ass effects of bigmanism; just a couple of hundred big men and they're causing traffic lol, because God forbid they take a shuttle bus or travel without fanfare. We should just exile them all to Abuja for good, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mama Bakkasi has already said it "delegates are the problem of this country" but not withstanding we can't generalised the statement cos is her opinion. What about the issue of banning the media? I think media is the eye of every Nigerian.

    ReplyDelete