Wednesday 4 June 2014

Day 28: My National Conference Exploits...

Monday 19th May 2014 we converged atplenary after committee work.

 

We started around 10.03 am after saying the prayer we adopted votes and proceedings of 17th April - the one we had before going for our various committee work. The major amendment made was on the issue of theChibok Girls and the misinformation given before we left for committee work - that all the girls, except 8, were rescued and which was reflected in our minutes  - remember that military misinformation?

 

Delegates also screamed out with a loud voice to #Bringbackourgirls and the need for government to intensify action in rescuing the girls. They also applauded the international community for offering to helping us. Somedelegate were against the applause, while others were for it, saying we are under attack and it is not just a Nigerian problem.

 

 

Announcement was made of the passing away of a delegate, an Elder statesman, Mohammed Abubakar Jumarewho died on 5th May 2014The conference observed a minute’s silence in honor of the deceased.The chairman also announced the nomination of 2 delegates, one to replace the LateHamma Misau that passed on and the other to replace the civil society member that declined to join the conference.

 

Committees presented their reports; a littledrama occurred when I went to lay our committee report. My chair was absent when they called out our committee and all eyes were on me to go and lay down our report. I went stepped down wearing my #BringBackOurGirl red shirt, presented the report to the house, dropped it and left - I was applauded - I guess the sympathy of being the youngest and the deputy chair, drove the applause. After laying the report my Chair showed up so I went and reported to her that I have already laid our report and she said "Good, I am proud of you"

 

Some minutes later I saw my chair speaking to the conference management and not long after, the Committee on Environment was called again; my chair stepped down to re-lay our report and there was a massive "boo" from conference members. They didn't allow her say a word as the boos were deafening... She called out: where is my vice chair" I had to step down again and the house began clapping, sympathy for the young. We re-laid the reportThis really got delegates furious as to why she should do such! Well she explained to me later that she wanted to snap a photograph. Convenient, huh?

 

Well, e no bother me sha...

 

After most reports were laid we were given the reports of the committees that we are to treat on Wednesday - that is we had a day’s break to go and review the reports; no sitting on Tuesday.

 

We adjourned till Wednesday....


See you soon..


On Twitter: @Yadomah 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment